Shade cloth is a great medium to provide sun protection and shade to your porch, pergola, or patio. It is very versatile and can be used for countless purposes so get creative and let your imagination be your guide. For installation, let Mighty Covers be your guide!
What you will need to apply shade cloth to your pergola or patio:
- Rolled shade cloth – enough to cover your area, plus 25% more.
- Box cutters or other sharp cutting instruments
- Attachment hardware – screws, nails, or 1″ staples.
- Tape Measure
- Safety Goggles
- Roll out your shade cloth across the structure you are planning to cover and pull it loosely into position. Leave at least 8-12 inches of overhang on all sides.
- Attach shade cloth to one of the longest sides first. Start at one end and pull with medium pressure (enough to get the wrinkles out and just a bit more) as you move along the edge. Attach the shade cloth to the structure about every 12″.
- Finish attaching the outside edges, continuing in a clockwise or counter-clockwise direction. Make sure that the knitted knot lines in the fabric are straight.
- When attaching the shade cloth along an edge of the structure where you’ll be cutting the fabric, be sure to move the attachment point in from the outside edge, beam, or post so you leave room to cut the fabric.
- When joining the edges of two rolls of shade cloth, try not to overlap the cloth if possible.
- Tack down to any interior support beams, if required, and trim off all the edges using a box cutter.
You are now ready to enjoy your newly shaded area. Pictures of all steps are available online. If you have any further questions about installing shade cloth, please contact Larry at Mightycovers.com, and he will be glad to offer assistance.